Quick Quiz to Analyse Public Policy
Criteria for Analysing Public Policy
If a new law or policy is being proposed for your sector, here are some things to look out for:
- Who benefits from this policy or law?
- Who loses?
- How does this policy/law affect women?
- How does it affect other vulnerable or marginalized groups?
- What will be the consequences, five years from now, if this policy/law is implemented?
- Will ordinary people understand this policy/law?
- Who is proposing this policy/law, and why?
- How did this issue come to the notice of legislators?
- How much will it cost to implement this policy/law?
- Can this policy/law be enforced? If so, by whom and how?
- What will be the penalty if you don’t comply with this policy/law?
- Is the policy/law consistent with the Bill of Rights and the South African Constitution?
If you are unhappy with the answers to some of these questions, you may want to mount an advocacy campaign.
Acknowledgement: Adapted from Training for Transformation, Book IV, by Sally Timmel and Anne Hope.